(click pics to supersize)
On Jan 23, 2008, I visited a Honda dealer in Colorado Springs and took a few pictures of the '08 CRF230L on the showroom floor.
$4499 got BUX?
- Dependable 223cc single-cylinder air-cooled four-stroke engine offers plenty of user-friendly power and lots of torque spread over a wide rpm-range.
- 30mm CV carburetor for crisp throttle response.
- Electric start for easy starting.
- Lightweight aluminum crankcase.
- Maintenance-free CD ignition.
- Heavy-duty clutch offers smooth, progressive engagement.
- Smooth-shifting, versatile six-speed transmission.
- Heavy-duty O-ring-sealed chain for durability and reduced maintenance.
- Box-section aluminum swingarm.
- Lightweight semi-double-cradle high-tensile steel frame.
- 37mm leading-axle Showa front fork offers 8.1 inches of suspension travel.
- Fork boots keep dirt and moisture away from fork seals.
- Heavy-duty Showa rear shock offers 6.1 inches of travel.
- Snail-type chain adjusters for easy maintenance.
- Powerful 240mm front disc brake, and 220mm rear disc brake.
- Strong, lightweight rims with straight-pull spokes.
- CRF-R-inspired bodywork and graphics.
- Motocross-style seat is low and comfortable, and allows maximum rider movement.
- Durable front and rear steel sprockets.
- High-quality handlebar with comfortable grips.
- Wide cleated, folding, self-cleaning footpegs and brake pedal for secure footing.
- Quiet, USDA-qualified spark arrester/muffler.
- Maintenance-free sealed battery.
- Ignition switch key for added security.
- Transferable one-year limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
- Purchase of a new, previously unregistered Honda USA-certified unit by an individual retail user in the United States qualifies the owner for a one-year complimentary membership in the Honda Rider's Club of America (HRCA). Visit www.hrca.honda.com for details.
- Rear Rack
- Hand Guard Kit
Specifications (verified against '08 CRF230L Honda Service Manual)
|Engine Type||223cc air-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke|
|Bore and Stroke||65.5mm x 66.2mm|
|Valve Train||SOHC; two-valve|
|Induction||Carburetor 30mm CV|
|Final Drive||#520 O-ring-sealed chain; sprockets 13/39|
|Suspension||Front: 37mm leading-axle Showa fork; 8.1 inches travel;
Rear: Pro-Link Showa single shock with spring preload adjustability; 6.1 inches travel
|Brakes||Front: Single 240mm disc
Rear: Single 220mm disc
|Tires||Front: 2.75 -21
|Rake (Caster Angle)||26° 50´|
|Trail||103mm (4.1 inches)|
|Seat Height||31.9 inches|
|Ground Clearance||9.6 inches|
|Fuel Capacity||2.3 gallons total; including 0.7 gallon reserve|
|Curb Weight||267 pounds; includes all standard equipment, required fluids, and full tank of fuel-ready to ride.
253 pounds with no gas; calculated by ramz.
For 2008, Honda announced a street-legal CRF230L. After carefully looking at the announcement picture, I decided that the 230L is not a modified CRF230F but, instead, is an updated XR200. I based my conclusion on the appearance of the engine, carburetor mounting, exhaust pipe mounting, airbox, side number plate, rear brake master cylinder, rear brake pedal, and frame.
I searched web sites in Japan to see if I could find a Japanese domestic-only 200 or 230, which would serve as the base model. I found an XR230, a bike suspiciously like the new 230L. Notice the street-legal equipment.
For comparison, here are the '07 and '08 CRF230F models.
Click this picture to see a larger version so you can compare details of:
'08 US CRF230L
Here is a picture of the '08 CRF230F that Brazil gets. It's just like the '08 US 230F with a headlight added (and it has the same drum rear brake our 230F has).
I took pictures of an '08 CRF230F, so I could compare the L and F to see similarities and differences.
Although the footpeg mount can't be seen, we all know the 230F footpeg mounts bolt to the frame, unlike the 230L mounts, which are welded.
Differences: 230L vs 230F (verified against '08 CRF230L and CRF230F Honda Service Manuals)
|Wheel base||52.8 inches||54.0 inches|
|Seat height||31.9 inches||34.6 inches|
|Ground clearance||9.6 inches||12.0 inches|
|Curb weight||268.0 lbs||248.5 lbs|
|Suspension||Front 8.1 inches
Rear 6.1 inches
|Front 8.5 inches
Rear 9.1 inches
|Rear brake||Hydraulic single disk||Drum|
|Rake (Caster Angle)||26° 50´||26° 45´|
|Trail||103mm (4.1 inches)||111mm (4.4 inches)|
|Fuel tank||2.3 gal||2.2 gal|
|Cam||Intake opens at 1mm lift - 5° BTDC
Intake closes at 1mm lift - 30° ABDC
Exhaust opens at 1mm lift - 35° BBDC
Exhaust closes at 1mm lift - 5° ATDC
|Intake opens at 1mm lift - 10° BTDC
Intake closes at 1mm lift - 40° ABDC
Exhaust opens at 1mm lift - 35° BBDC
Exhaust closes at 1mm lift - 10° ATDC
|Air filter||Paper||Oiled foam|
|Engine weight||69.7 lbs||68.8 lbs|
|Carburetor||Constant velocity 30mm||Piston valve 28mm|
|Transmission||6-speeds, primary reduction 3.090 (68/22)||6-speeds, primary reduction 3.090 (68/22)|
|1st thru 6th ratios||3.083 2.062 1.450 1.130 0.960 0.814||2.769 1.941 1.450 1.148 0.960 0.812|
|1st thru 6th internal gears||37/12 33/16 29/20 26/23 24/25 22/27||36/13 33/17 29/20 31/27 24/25 26/32|
|Sprockets fr/rr||13/39 (3.000)||13/50 (3.846)|
|Charging system||Triple phase output alternator||Single phase output alternator|
|Regulator/rectifier||SCR shorted triple phase, full-wave rectification||SCR shorted single phase, half-wave rectification|